Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Baby Boomers and Assets

The Reverse Mortgage is becoming a more popular form of financing, especially for Baby Boomers.

Today I found an article regarding Baby Boomers and the number of them going into retirement. Did you know that by the year 2030, studies by the US Census Bureau show 1-in-5 Americans will be 65 or older? This is quite a percentage of our public in retirement. There are 78.2 million baby boomers in America today.

I would think that these boomers have many concerns. One recent study I read showed that, as the baby boomers are getting older, they are finding themselves facing many issues. Health, finances, and more often, they are facing the issue of elderly parents. In my own family, my parents have taken on the responsibility of caring for my grandmother vs. her being in a nursing home or assisted living. The next challenge for them may be their own desires to retire in the next 5 years.


One other growing concern for boomers looking to retire is the amount of money needed in reserves for the lifestyle they wish to maintain. Studies show that the oldest of the Baby Boomers today are best prepared, while middle-class people now retiring face a 24% cut in their standard of living.


Have you asked yourself... "How does my retirement plan look?" With the very real possibility of living to age 90 or 100 combined with the volatility of inflation and investment returns, there is a very possible risk of outliving ones assets.


I'd encourage you to contact your financial advisor to see if your plan is stable and to visit possible future scenarios. Also know that I am a true believer that a reverse mortgage can be a great tool for you to unlock your monthly income potential by eliminating your mortgage payments. Be sure to contact me if you would like more information or a one on one evaluation of your homes potential.

No comments: