Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Retired? What are your priorities?

Two things come to mind when I reflect on spending time with my grandparents as a child. One is that they always jumped at a chance to have my sister and I come see them. Second was that their home in the country was so well kept. The landscaping, the flowers, the pond, and all the trails in the woods were awesome.
I truely enjoyed spending time at my grandparents home.

Today I read an interesting article about the priorities of retirees'. I learned that my grandparents may not be much different than most.

A survey conducted by Thrivent Financial asked over 800 adults between the ages of 60 and 74 what they would rate their top 6 everyday activities to be.

No surprise that men rated "working in the yard" #1 (28 percent) where as women surveyed rated "Spending time with grandchildren and family members" the top of their list (36 percent).
While these two activities were in the top two for both genders, the remaining 4 activities they listed, closely mirrored one another in level of priority. These 4 remaining items were:
  • Enjoying things like playing golf, shopping, and going out with friends.
  • Pursuing hobbies
  • Volunteering in the community
  • Watching where your money goes, clipping grocery coupons, etc.

Another interesting survey result was that the average income for these retirees' ranged from $40,000 to $79,999.

If you were to list your top six past times in retirement, would you place the same importance as this survey?

To read more on this survey, the full article can be found at this link. Full Article.

If you are getting closer to retirement, and thinking of your top 6, contact me today and lets discuss your current mortage and debt positioning.


1 comment:

Jeff said...

When I retire, I'm going to have your little brother come over and do my yard work.

I'll be one of the 18% out playing golf!